What is an Internal Developer Portal?
According to Gartner, “Internal developer portals serve as the interface that enables self-service discovery and access to resources in complex, cloud-native software development environments. They can include software catalogs, scorecards to benchmark software quality, scaffold templates, product documentation, plug-ins for extensibility and automation workflows. Developer portals help improve developer productivity, operational efficiency and enhance governance by providing shared visibility across multiple teams.
Internal developer portals help software developers navigate infrastructure complexity, understand service interdependencies and enable faster release cadence in at least three ways. First, they serve as a common viewpoint for multiple teams of developers. Second, they provide developers with self-service access to underlying platform components and environments. Third, they provide a centralized place to score applications and measure progress against reliability and security requirements.”*
Mia-Platform has been mentioned as an example of an Internal Developer Portal in the following Gartner reports:
- Innovation Insight for Internal Developer Portals, by Manjunath Bhat, Mark O’Neill, Oleksandr Matvitskyy Published 1 February 2022
- Innovation Insight for Continuous Infrastructure Automation, by Manjunath Bhat, Hassan Ennaciri, Chris Saunderson, Daniel Betts Refreshed 5 August 2022, Published 27 April 2021
- Hype Cycle for Monitoring and Observability, by Pankaj Prasad and Padraig Byrne, Published 10 July 2023.
- Hype Cycle for Site Reliability Engineering, 2023, by Hassan Ennaciri, Chris Saunderson, Daniel Betts, Published 17 July 2023
- Hype Cycle for Open-Source Software by Oleksandr Matvitskyy, Mark Driver, Anne Thomas, Nitish Tyagi , 21 July 2023.
*Gartner report “Hype Cycle for Agile and DevOps” by Keith Mann, Joachim Herschmann, Akis Sklavounakis, 27 July 2023.
GARTNER is a registered trademark and service mark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally, and HYPE CYCLE is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates and are used herein with permission. All rights reserved. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.